No matter what type of vehicle you have now is the time to ensure it is ready for winter. Call us on 01209 215755 to book your service or free winter check.
Is your car ready for Christmas?
With just a few weeks now to Christmas the race is on to find all those Christmas presents you need to buy, to start preparing the cards you need to send and to think about the parties you are going to either host or attend.
For many people though Christmas means being on the move. It means travelling to visit and stay with relatives and friends.
And for some this can be the biggest single trip they take in their car all year. So is your car ready for its big Christmas journey?
In this article Pete Woodbridge of Powells Garage at Redruth offers some tips and advice on how to make sure your car won’t let you down when it comes to that big Christmas journey:
- Check your tyre tread. Your tyres will have wear indicators on them in between the tyre grooves. You must have at least 1.6mm of tread across 75% of your tyre not only to be safe but to be legal. If you can’t find the wear indicators or find it hard to do the check just turn up at Powells and we’ll do a quick free check for you. Running on tyres with treads below 1.6mm is not only illegal but makes for potentially dangerous driving in winter.
- Look for damage to the tyres. Cuts, lumps and bumps are often caused by an impact between the tyre and a kerb, pothole or object in the road. On the rural roads in Cornwall it is easy to pick up some tyre damage, especially from hazards you may encounter on country lanes. If you spot cuts or anything that looks out of place drop into Powells and we’ll check the tyres for you.
- Check your oil, antifreeze, brake fluid and washer levels. Make sure all your engine fluid levels are topped up utilising the right ones for your particular car or vehicle.
- Check your car battery. Cold and damp weather is a battery killer. There’s little worse than the mechanical groan when you turn the key caused by a dying car battery. If your battery is struggling to start your car, the chances are it’s on its way out. You can check the battery yourself or bring it to Powells and we’ll do a while you wait free check for you.
- Are your lights all working? This sounds obvious but it’s so easy to not be aware that you have a bulb that is either about to go or has gone. Make sure you have a couple of spares with you just in case.
- What are your wiper blades like? As we all know in Cornwall driving in the rain is something we get used to but when was the last time you checked your wiper blades?
- Book a pre-Christmas Service To be absolutely sure your vehicle is fully ready for your big Christmas trip it is worth considering a pre-Christmas service to cover all of the above.
Powells Garage at Redruth offer free Christmas checks. Simply call into Powells on the Barncoose roundabout or telephone 01209 215755.