In early 2016 we became the first motor dealer in Cornwall to be invited to join the ‘Buy with Confidence’ scheme.
As a family company that this year celebrates 65 years in business (1953-2018) the trusted values we offer matched those being sought by the Trading Standards run scheme which recognises businesses that demonstrate honesty, truth, integrity and professionalism in the way they operate and work with their customers.
Heather Powell recalls joining the scheme:
“We were delighted when we were the first Cornwall garage to be approached by Trading Standards to be part of the Buy with Confidence scheme.
In 2018 we are celebrating our 65th year in business and our aim has always been to treat customers fairly, priding ourselves on our honest and professional approach to car sales as well as all the various services we offer from exhaust and tyre fitting through to servicing, vehicle transportation and recovery, fleet maintenance and MOT’s.
Being part of this scheme recognises the high levels of expertise, experience and customer care standards we have been offering our customers since the business began.”
Now is the best time to have your motorhome serviced so that it is ready for the summer.
Our state of the art workshops can handle any size of motorhome so give us a call now on 01209 215755 to book your motorhome service.
The last thing you want to find out just before you head off on your first major outing of the year is that the tyres need changing, or the engine isn’t sounding great or the brake pads have worn away or deteriorated through lack of use during the winter.
A number of motorhome owners are now fitting custom built stainless steel exhausts to their vehicles. Stainless steel exhausts have significant green credentials as they will get rid of the vehicle’s exhaust gas more efficiently which means the engine has to work less hard thus reducing the amount of fuel used.
They will last for the lifetime of the vehicle, which saves the expense of needing to replace the exhaust system every few years. It is also a great selling point when the vehicle is sold.
Here’s what Bev Rogers of Tregeare said to us recently : “I would like to take the opportunity to thank all at Powells for the excellent service I received when I bought the car. The car was beautifully prepared and I was able to collect it when it suited me and my commitments at work. I am still very pleased with it, so thank you to all.”
Join our award winning team of vehicle technicians. C&G level 3 required. Salary dependent on qualifications and experience. Call or text Heather on 07955 375475 for a confidential chat.
No matter what type of vehicle you have now is the time to ensure it is ready for winter. Call us on 01209 215755 to book your service or free winter check.
Is your car ready for Christmas?
With just a few weeks now to Christmas the race is on to find all those Christmas presents you need to buy, to start preparing the cards you need to send and to think about the parties you are going to either host or attend.
For many people though Christmas means being on the move. It means travelling to visit and stay with relatives and friends.
And for some this can be the biggest single trip they take in their car all year. So is your car ready for its big Christmas journey?
In this article Pete Woodbridge of Powells Garage at Redruth offers some tips and advice on how to make sure your car won’t let you down when it comes to that big Christmas journey:
- Check your tyre tread. Your tyres will have wear indicators on them in between the tyre grooves. You must have at least 1.6mm of tread across 75% of your tyre not only to be safe but to be legal. If you can’t find the wear indicators or find it hard to do the check just turn up at Powells and we’ll do a quick free check for you. Running on tyres with treads below 1.6mm is not only illegal but makes for potentially dangerous driving in winter.
- Look for damage to the tyres. Cuts, lumps and bumps are often caused by an impact between the tyre and a kerb, pothole or object in the road. On the rural roads in Cornwall it is easy to pick up some tyre damage, especially from hazards you may encounter on country lanes. If you spot cuts or anything that looks out of place drop into Powells and we’ll check the tyres for you.
- Check your oil, antifreeze, brake fluid and washer levels. Make sure all your engine fluid levels are topped up utilising the right ones for your particular car or vehicle.
- Check your car battery. Cold and damp weather is a battery killer. There’s little worse than the mechanical groan when you turn the key caused by a dying car battery. If your battery is struggling to start your car, the chances are it’s on its way out. You can check the battery yourself or bring it to Powells and we’ll do a while you wait free check for you.
- Are your lights all working? This sounds obvious but it’s so easy to not be aware that you have a bulb that is either about to go or has gone. Make sure you have a couple of spares with you just in case.
- What are your wiper blades like? As we all know in Cornwall driving in the rain is something we get used to but when was the last time you checked your wiper blades?
- Book a pre-Christmas Service To be absolutely sure your vehicle is fully ready for your big Christmas trip it is worth considering a pre-Christmas service to cover all of the above.
Powells Garage at Redruth offer free Christmas checks. Simply call into Powells on the Barncoose roundabout or telephone 01209 215755.
This vehicle started its journey in New York – took a sea crossing to Southampton where we picked it up and delivered to its new owner. If you need vehicles transporting please give us a call.
Dual purpose interchangeable 3 inch stainless steel sports cat and de cat exhaust system fitted to road / track Lotus Elise.
When Nick Rendle from Helston approached Powells Garage he had a double challenge for them. Following an engine conversion his Lotus Elise required an easily interchangeable 3 inch exhaust system so he could use one system on the road and the other when racing the Lotus on the track.
The team at Powells rose to the challenge and fitted a 3 inch system with a sports cat and a de cat enabling Mr Rendle to easily switch systems depending on where he was driving.
Powells tyre and exhaust expert Paul Richards commented:
“The Lotus was a great car to work on even though the minimal access we had to the exhaust system challenged our dexterity and workshop agility! We are delighted that Mr Rendle elected to work with us and by choosing the stainless steel system he has a system that will last for the lifetime of the vehicle, is greener than a normal exhaust, is more fuel efficient, and with it’s brilliant shine and polished finish will look fantastic both on the road and the track”.
Paul went on to say ”Both Mr Rendle and ourselves are delighted with the outcome and we look forward to working with other customers who have similar unique exhaust system needs”
Vehicle owners, including those with mobile homes, are increasingly recognising the benefits of having a custom fitted stainless steel exhaust.
A stainless steel exhaust will last for the lifetime of the vehicle, which as cars and motorhomes keep going for longer saves the expense of needing to replace the exhaust system every few years. It is also therefore a great selling point when the vehicle is sold.
Stainless steel exhausts also have significant green credentials as they will get rid of the vehicle’s exhaust gas more efficiently which means the engine has to work less hard thus reducing the amount of fuel used. Stainless exhausts look great as they have a brilliant shine and a polished finish which is easily maintained.
No wonder vehicle owners travel far and wide to come to Powells to have a custom made stainless steel exhaust made on-site. Indeed a number of customers have booked their stainless exhaust replacement to coincide with their holiday in Cornwall!
We have free courtesy cars and vans available, so customers can leave their vehicle with us and return on completion of the exhaust fabrication.
The stainless steel that is used is of superior quality, It is bent and flared with a special heavy duty machine, that allows the operator to accurately duplicate the shape and perspective of the original exhaust.
Powells Garage carry out custom stainless steel exhaust replacement on all types of vehicles, cars, vans, motorhomes, vintage vehicles, sports vehicles and even motorbikes.
All our exhausts are manufactured to the very highest standard and carry a lifetime guarantee.
For further information about stainless steel, as well as conventional, exhausts systems including those for motorhomes, please call Paul Richards at Powells Garage on 01209 215 755 for a free no obligation estimate.